Name:
Location: Montague/Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sleeve Notes

I was sorting through some old files on my computer the other day and came across some old assignments. In one of my introductory English classes we were given the opportunity to write our own sleeve notes; that is, to briefly write about some of the music that was influential in our own lives. While my musical tastes have continued to change over time, I still stand by the statements I made about these albums and wanted to share.

Professor:
In my experience, music is another language. Every song has a memory, each lyric a new lesson to be learned. While it may seem odd to a non-believer, I've found that God speaks to me most not through my Bible or devotional books, but rather through music. "Music is God's reminder that there's something besides us in this universe" (August Rush). Each of these albums has had a distinct impact on my spiritual journey and because of this I've written about them in different ways. These are my Sleeve Notes.

U2: The Joshua Tree
On the brink of stadium tours, Bono and the Edge in the desert
From isolation to standing room only
Spiritual angst and freedom from constrictions.
It is these songs that inspire the urge to look past
Simple acceptance, to search for answers. To be willing to wait.

Switchfoot: The Beautiful Letdown
Mainstream success at last for the band that refuses to be pigeon holed. The let down of knowing you don't belong here and the inherent freedom in that statement. Being 24 for life, but knowing its not your life to begin with. The dare to be more, the courage it takes to care. To live and move and breathe in Your presence, for that to be enough. Knowing that this is not everything, there is more and we were meant to live for it, called to a higher purpose.

Hillsong United: All of the Above
The idea of worship as social justice
Not a new one, we are the solution,
We will be Your hands and feet
To the least of these.
Desperate for all You are and all that you have in store for me.
Throwing our lives down in awe at the foot of Your cross.
The ultimate contradiction of beauty in pain?
Freedom.
The freedom to dance, to not care about the legalistic ones who would condemn us for living out your grace.

Relient K: MmHmm
"The beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair."
Amen. If not, we're all screwed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home